Husky with adder bites

Husky hospitalised after adder bite reading-time-icon 2 min read

An afternoon dog walk turned into a medical emergency for Max the Husky when he was bitten by an Adder whilst walking along the Norfolk Coast.

3-year-old Max was bitten on the nose by the poisonous snake whilst walking in sand dunes during a coastal walk. 

Max’s owner, Mrs Lee from Norfolk, recalls the moment she saw the adder: 

“We were walking by high grass when we saw the tail of a snake. We thought that it was a normal grass snake, so we didn't think much of it. 

“We only started to realise something was wrong about an hour later, when we noticed two bite marks on Max’s nose. His nose started to swell quite badly so we knew that something was wrong, that’s when we called Taverham vets.”

husky with adder bite on nose

Adders are the only poisonous snakes native to the UK, they are usually shy and can be found in Sand Dunes, Hillsides, Rocky areas, Moors and Woodland.

Read More: What to do if your dog is bitten by an adder

Veterinary Nurse Hayley Hyam was part of the team at Taverham Vets, a My Family Vets practice, that treated Max. 

“Max arrived at the practice with two clear puncture wounds to his muzzle. He had a noticeably swollen muzzle and was panting.

“Our team assessed him immediately and treatment was started which included the administration of antivenom, a drug that must be diluted and delivered intravenously under constant supervision to monitor for signs of anaphylaxis (allergic reaction).”

Max received a whole host of treatment to make sure that he made a full recovery. 

Hayley added: “Treatment also included blood tests to monitor for clotting disorders and renal dysfunction (which can occur following adder bites), fluid therapy, antibiotics and pain relief.” 

Thanks to his owner's prompt action and the fast treatment he received at Taverham Veterinary Hospital, Max has made a full recovery and is back to being his usual cheeky self at home.  

husky laying on green grass with a bone it his mouth

After the ordeal, Mrs Lee shared her advice to help fellow dog owners keep their pooches safe from adders:

“My advice for other dog owners is to stay vigilant and keep your dog on a lead if you are unsure about the wildlife in the area.

“The vets said that this was the second adder bite case they had dealt with this year, so I’ve learnt to spot the difference between a poisonous adder and a grass snake.”

Veterinary Nurse Hayley gave her advice on what to do if you suspect that your dog has been bitten by an adder.

“If you ever suspect your dog may have been bitten by an adder it is important to keep them as still as possible – if you can you should try and carry them back to the car – this will help prevent the venom from spreading throughout their body. When it is safe to do so, call your vet as soon as possible.” 

Looking for a vet in Norfolk? Taverham Vets are part of My Family Vets – providing exceptional care for pets and outstanding service for their owners.

Related tags