Video Vets Now Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most common questions about how the Video Vets Now service works.
About Video Vets Now
How does it work?
Once you have booked an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to join your video chat. It works just like a Facetime or Zoom call. You don’t need any special gadgets or technology, just a webcam and mic so the vet can see and hear you and your pet. You can use your mobile, desktop, laptop or tablet. Most have built-in webcams and mics.
Make sure your pet is with you. The vet can gain plenty of information and provide reliable advice based on your pet's behavior, demeanor, physical characteristics and body language – all of which they can observe on a webcam.
How long will my appointment last?
Video consults are scheduled to last 10 minutes. To get the most out of your video chat, please make sure you're ready to join at the right time. If you have more than one problem to discuss with the vet, you may need to book 2 or more appointments.
What equipment do I need?
Video Vets Now works on a mobile, laptop, desktop or tablet. The vet will want to see your pet and talk with you face-to-face, so it is best to sit with your pet in a well-lit area with little background noise. You will also need a decent internet connection.
You will also need access to the email address and mobile phone that you provided when you booked your appointment, so that the vet can contact you if there are any technical problems with your video link.
What should I do if I can't access my appointment?
If you experience any of the following problems with your online consultation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org:
- You don't receive your booking confirmation email
- You don't receive a link to take you to your video consultation
- There's a problem with the payment process
- You're having difficulties with your internet connection
- You miss your consult
Please remember, our vets will use the phone number and email address you provided if they are unable to reach you via the video chat link within the booking email. The phone number will come up as ‘No caller ID.’
Can vets prescribe medication using Video Vets Now?
Our vet team are unable to perform diagnoses or prescribe medication from a video or telemedicine appointment. We can, however, recommend if you need to be seen in a clinic, provide effective advice on non-urgent problems and answer queries or questions relating to your pet's wellbeing.
Who are the vets I'll be speaking with?
When to use Video Vets Now
Can I use Video Vets Now abroad?
The service is only available to UK residents. If you reside outside the UK, you should contact a veterinary surgeon in your own country who will be more familiar with local diseases and health problems.
Which symptoms can Video Vets Now help with?
We know that being a pet owner can sometimes be a worry. We're here to answer any questions or concerns you may have. On most occasions, we can help you decide the right course of action for the health and wellbeing of your pet.
When shouldn't I use Video Vets Now?
Video Vets Now is most suited to non-urgent queries. It can be used for general advice and guidance on whether you should be seen in clinic.
Here are some of the conditions our vets deem to be potentially life-threatening and are not suitable for Video Vets Now. In each case, your pet may need urgent emergency treatment so please contact your registered vet or out-of-hours care provider immediately.
- Breathing difficulties
- Deep or extensive wound injuries or significant bleeding (dripping)
- Trauma (e.g. car accidents)
- Male cats struggling to pass urine or faeces
- Rabbits neglecting food
- Any illness or injury in pets younger than 2 weeks old
- Swallowing hazards i.e. toys/ clothes etc
- Ingestion of toxic/harmful substances
- Eye problems
- Severe vomiting or diarrhoea, especially if your pet appears quiet or depressed or if it is going on for a long time (more than 24 hours)
- Swollen abdomen or retching (especially large dogs)
- Loss of thirst & appetite
- Struggling to give birth
Which animals can you help with?
The service is most appropriate for dogs, cats, domestic birds and small furries (such as guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits). It is not recommended for exotic animals and we cannot provide video consultations for farm animals.
Cost and payment
How much does an appointment cost?
A 10-minute video consultation costs £24. If our vet recommends that you visit a clinic within 48hrs, we will refund your video consultation.
Please visit www.vets-now.com/videovet/refunds for more information.
I have visited another vet as recommended by the Video Vets Now vet – How do I claim a refund of my Video Vets Now consultation fee?
- If you visited a Vets Now Emergency clinic then the consultation fee will be automatically deducted from your in-clinic invoice
- If you visited another practice then you will need to apply for a refund with Vets Now. Please note – any refund is provided by Vets Now and not the practice that you visited
- To check your eligibility under our Never Pay Twice promise please visit https://www.vets-now.com/videovet/refunds/ and complete the online form
There was a problem with my video consultation, how can I get a refund?
We can only offer refunds if:
- You are unable to complete your consultation due to a technical problem related to our software or services.
- The vet is unable to provide you with any information, guidance or advice.
If you believe you are entitled to a refund, you should contact us as soon as possible in writing (by email to email@example.com). We will then verify your entitlement to a refund and, if appropriate, complete the refund as soon as possible.
How can I cancel my appointment?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to cancel your appointment. Appointments that are cancelled more than 1 hour before the start time will be refunded.
What happens if I need to see a vet after my appointment?
During your video consultation, you will be advised whether you should visit a vet in practice. If we recommend you are seen, we will refer you to your registered practice, help you find one closest or arrange an emergency appointment with Vets Now if it is out of traditional vet practice hours.
If you are seen within 48hours of your video consultation, Vets Now will refund the cost of your video consult. More information can be found here www.vets-now.com/videovet/refunds.